The Victoria Flying Club, located at the Victoria International Airport, has been training world class professional and recreational pilots since 1946. Local and international students benefit from top‐notch instruction on a standardized fleet of Cessna 172S model aircraft, at one of Canada's& busiest airports, and in a varied terrain setting, providing an unsurpassed training environment year round.
Interested applicants may forward their Expression of Interest, Detailed Resume and three industry references to the Selection Committee, Victoria Flying Club, 101-1852 Canso Road Sidney, B.C. V8L 5V5 Canada, Tel:+1-250-656-2833 Fax: +1-250-655-091
Competition Number: GM2019.
Competition Closes May31ST 2019.
Salary Commensurate with Experience
GENERAL MANAGER Job Description
Victoria Flying Club is a not for profit organization that has been in continuous operation since 1946. Revenues for calendar 2018 were $3.1 Million with a staff of approximately 25 people. VFC operates a fleet of 10 Cessna 172 aircraft, 1 Cessna 172 float plane, 1 Piper Seminole twin engine aircraft and 1 flight simulator. The primary functions of VFC include flight training, fuel sales, aircraft rental, maintenance and parking. All functions must be performed in accordance with Transport Canada regulations.
Accountabilities / Responsibilities
Directs the development of short and long range objectives, budgets, and operating plans for the Victoria Flying Club. Administers, directs, and coordinates all activities of the VFC to carry out its objectives in the provision of Member Services, Flight Training, Finance and Maintenance.
Oversees operations, and the application and implementation of established policies. Acts as a liaison with Aviation Staff, and departments, and the control and effective utilization of physical and financial resources. Represents the Victoria Flight Club to key customers, industry groups, financial community, representatives of government and regulatory agencies, as well as the general public.
The General Manager reports to an elected Board of Directors.
The position’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
a. Manage the club in accordance with Policy and VFC Strategy
b. Ensure VFC’s four strategic values inform all aspects of our operation
- Financial security
- School productivity
- Meeting the needs of VFC’s diverse membership
c. Take high level directions from the Board of Directors, as they occur from time to time, and then:
- Create and execute detailed implementation plans
- Measure and monitor progress
- Take corrective action as required to ensure the goals are met
- Report back to the Board on progress and issues
d. Member Management
- marketing, pricing, relationship management, etc. aimed at attracting new members
- value proposition, operation and instructional oversight aimed at retaining members
- direct the club’s communication plan, ensure the staff is connected and contributes
e. Vendor Management and Industry Liaison
- Maintaining high level contacts with VFC’s strategic vendors
- Controlling key contracts
- Maintaining liaison with other schools, universities and organizations within our ecosystem
f. Aircraft Management
- In conjunction with the board, develop and maintain a fleet renewal plan
- Coordinate aircraft acquisition and disposal in accordance with the fleet renewal plan
- Optimise fleet size, composition and avionics in accordance with the fleet renewal plan
g. Staff Management
- Ensure that aircraft maintenance, flight training, company operations and management of the office are conducted in an effective and team oriented manner
- HR Administration including maintaining roles defining performance metrics and controlling workload, conducting and overseeing personnel reviews, managing salary and other remuneration
- Conduct management team meetings and ensure that staff meetings are effective
h. Business Development
- Maintain an ongoing awareness of industry trends and opportunities
- Identifying and evaluating new business opportunities
- Conduct effective business planning to capitalize on new opportunities
- Gain approval from the Board of Directors for new initiatives
- Conducting major programme management, implementing new programmes and ensuring effective change management
- Identifying activities to be discontinued and managing their termination
i. Financial Accountability
- Overall accountability for the financial results and financial security of VFC
- Proactively work to increase the efficiency of operations to ensure that VFC remains financially viable while providing high quality services to club members at the lowest practical cost
- Maintain a short term (one year) forward looking business forecast
- Maintain a 5 year outlook, setting sinking funds and ensuring revenue forecasts meet cost and investment needs
- Maintain a long-term view of the club’s viable options when VFC’s building lease expires in 2037
j. IT Oversight
- Direct, either personally or via a selected manager, the activities of the club’s IT vendors and contributors ensuring that all staff is equipped and connected with the necessary IT tools
- Delegation of maintenance of computer software and hardware Capital Expenditure
k. Community Liaison
- Work with VAA and other tenants to ensure strong links to community and local governments
- Ensure that noise and other community concerns are well managed
l. Other duties as required
- Ensure the broad range of other duties required such as, reporting to non-TC regulators such as PCITIA, acting as landlord to the restaurant, etc. are conducted as and when required
- Ensure that new issues are dealt with smoothly and efficiently as they arise
The General Manager should demonstrate competence in some or all of the following:
· Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behaviour and professional practices, and ensure that own behaviour and the behaviour of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization
· Accountability: Promptly respond to Board Directives ensuring the desired results are achieved
· Positive Work Environment: Set a positive tone in the workplace and ensure that interpersonal issues are identified and dealt with promptly
· Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
· Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
· Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve programs and to create new opportunities.
· Situational Awareness: Recognize that VFC is neither an aviation college, nor is it simply a club, and develop solutions that bring sustainable positive changes while incrementally building on the strengths of the existing organization
· Focus on Student and Member Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external clients to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
· Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
· Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
· Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency, safety and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
· Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities.
· Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
· Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem making safety the first priority.
Flight Instructors needed!
You can apply with us by emailing your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or by delivering it in person at the Club.